BRISBANE WHITE ANT TREATMENTS
There is no single and permanent white ant treatment or termite treatment solution. In fact, white ants and termite management is an ongoing process.
White Ants and Termites are part of our natural environment in Brisbane and surrounding areas, and as our environment changes, so does the risk posed by termites.
Home owners, property managers and tenants often unknowingly create environmental changes in and around a dwelling which encourage white ants to enter our properties. Your Trusted Pest Management Control inspector can also give you personalised advice and tips to ensure that you don’t accidentally encourage white ants and termites into your home!
I’VE FOUND TERMITES! WHAT SHOULD I DO?
Firstly, Do NOT disturb them. This means:
- Not spraying white ants/termites with household fly sprays
- Not touching the white ants/termites or their workings
- Not tapping termite nests
- Staying well away from white ant activity
We know it’s tempting to try to get rid of the house-munching horrors, but disturbing the termites or nest will cause them to retreat, and make any termite treatments less effective.
Secondly, contact one of the team at Trusted Pest Management to organise a full white ant inspection on your property. Once we’ve inspected the property we can give you advice on your white ant/termite treatment options from there.
WHAT ARE SOME OF MY WHITE ANT TREATMENT OPTIONS?
At Trusted Pest Management we will visit your home to design a white ant treatment strategy that suits your home, climate and environment, from among the following elements:
WHITE ANT NEST DESTRUCTION
If a white ant nest can be found, this is the most effective way to deal with the immediate termite or white ant problem. A chemical treatment prior to destroying the white ant nest should be done; otherwise a group of individuals may survive to begin another colony. Some species of termites create multiple nests – At Trusted Pest Management we will identify the species involved and the likelihood of having to track down other white ant nests.
White Ant nests can also be destroyed indirectly by termite treatments like baiting, dusting and chemical applications that transfer the toxins throughout the entire termite colony.
CHEMICAL TERMITE TREATMENT AND BARRIERS (TREATED ZONES)
Chemcially-based termite treatment is one of the most common ways of protecting properties just like yours. These termite treatments are especially popular because they provide ongoing protection. In chemical termite treatment, we apply an approved termiticide to the soil around the structure, so that there is no part of the structure that the termites can access without tunnelling through the treated soil. If termites come in contact with the treated soil they are either repelled or killed before they can do any damage. Things you should know about chemical termite treatments for soil (termite barriers):
- The termiticide will not work if it isn’t installed correctly. It needs to be placed in the correct type of soil, and around all parts of the building in contact with any soil. If this cannot be achieved your property can’t be completely protected – however, we can compensate for this in other areas of your termite treatment strategy.
- Termite treatment chemicals do not last forever. They are broken down by soil components and exposure to sunlight. They need to be replenished annually and every few years a full re-treatment needs to occur.
- Chemical termite treatment is popular, but not always the ideal solution, particularly when there are existing concreted or paved pathways etc.
- Homeowners may need to make pre-arrangements before a chemical termite treatment, like moving hot water systems to allow access to soil.
- Sometimes, to obtain full protection for your property, you may need to alter something or move something away from the structure to prevent termites avoiding the chemical soil treatment.
- Annual inspections are needed to ensure the that the soil termite treatment is still working effectively.
PHYSICAL TERMITE BARRIERS
An option that is commonly used during pre-construction (or adding a building extension) is the installation of a physical termite barrier system – such as Kordon, HomeGuard or TermSeal – to reduce future termite treatment requirements. The system components vary depending on your needs, but are designed to be effective for the structural life of the building (currently 50 years).
The purpose of using physical termite barriers is the same as soil treatments – to stop termites from getting into the structure. Physical barrier systems can also serve other purposes in your home, like protecting retaining walls and other structures.
TERMITE MONITORING & TERMITE BAITING
In termite monitoring, “stations” are placed in the ground at strategic locations where termites are likely to find them during their foraging activities.Once the stations are placed in the soil, they need to be monitored. Depending on the situation, you may be able to monitor the stations yourself until termite activity is discovered.Once termites are found at a station, it’s time to decide what to do next. Many of these termite monitoring systems have a built-in “baiting” option, to create a termite detection and termite treatment system in one.
The “Baiting” process involves placing a substitute food source in the station under attack. The food source is designed to be “tastier” than the original attractant in the station. The bait contains a toxicant that will not only affect the termites the consume the bait, but have a flow on affect for the entire termite colony.
Things that you should know about this type of termite treatment:
- These systems are very environmentally friendly
- They eliminate termite colonies at their source.
- These termite treatment stations require regular monitoring and servicing
- As a lone termite treatment method, baiting stations are very effective but not a guarantee that termites will not enter your home, so…
- You must always incorporate regular termite inspections into your termite management plan. Learn more about termite inspections…
BRISBANE TERMITE PROTECTION & TREATMENT
Did you know that 1 in 3 properties are attacked at some stage by termites? Termites cause an estimated $1 billion dollars in damage annually.
Throughout our experience, we have found that termite infestation to a dwelling has generally occurred due to the simply fact that no effective termite protection exists to a dwelling.
Trusted Pest Management operates in Brisbane and surrounding areas and we offer our unique 100% Termite Protection Guarantee* keeping your home – your most important investment safe.
Like most industries, there are a lot of options out there when it comes to Termite Control. Prices by different companies can vary from cheap to damn expensive. Each house is different so a one price fits all for termite control is not possible. Fortunately however, premium products do exist to ensure that no matter what type of house you have, large or small, you can be feel safe from termites.
Trusted Pest Management offers complete termite treatment & termite control options, implementing the world’s most effective products.
Got More Questions About Termite Treatments? Please feel free to Contact Us.